Do you consider yourself a beginner cyclist and want to make yourself fit and active by cycling daily? Also, looking for the exact distance that you should cover on a typical bicycle ride?
Whether you are a novice rider or considering cycling to work daily, this article will serve you as a complete guide to answering some frequently asked questions. So, let’s begin.
For newbie bikers, 12 miles is an ideal riding distance. This is not just a common distance for most Greenways, but it is also an excellent distance target for a novice cyclist.
Whether you want to take your kids for a fast bike ride or learn bicycling on your own, you should know how long it takes to bike 12 miles.
Beginner cyclists average 10 mph, and to complete 12 miles, it will take nearly one hour. That same mile may take only 30-40 minutes for more experienced bikers.
However, several significant factors influence this timeframe, including
- Person’s physical state Fitness
- The bike you’re riding
- The path you’re cycling on.
So, keep reading to know how long does it take to Bike 12 Miles,
How Long Does It Take To Bike 12 Miles?
The most straightforward approach to calculating how long it takes to cycle any distance is to estimate how swiftly you can accomplish one mile. However, the average cycling speed of a healthy rider is 17 to 18 mph with a good quality bike on a flat and even surface. Keep that in mind, and it comes down to the fact that the reply will be specific to each person.
Experienced cyclists can typically sustain speeds closer to 12-15mph; thus, this figure is considerably improved. Professional cyclists can attain speeds of up to 28 miles per hour. At the same time, a beginner cyclist will take near about one hour to complete 12 miles.
However, experience is not the most significant factor in determining its time to cycle 12 miles. As we have previously explained that a few more factors matter while you are riding on a bike. As soon as you recognize those factors, the arithmetic becomes a bit more complex.
Is Biking 12 Miles Hard for a Beginner?
Professional cyclists can ride 12 miles or more within one hour, but a regular cyclist pedaling casually takes roughly 60 minutes to accomplish 12miles.
Alternatively, if you’re bicycling on an incline, sloping hills, it might take you approximately 40 minutes to get there and only 20 minutes or a little extra to go back down.
So, for a beginner, it might look hard to bike 12 miles, but slowly, you will be able to increase your speed to cover a distance, more than 12 miles.
Check out the below records that exemplify that an ordinary cyclist takes how much time to complete a specific distance with their bikes:
|Distance in Miles||Time in minutes or hours|
|1 Mile||3-5 Minutes|
|2 Miles||10-12 Minutes|
|3 Miles||13-15 Minutes|
|5 Miles||15 – 20 minutes|
|10 Miles||30 – 40 minutes|
|12 Miles||40-50 minutes|
|20 Miles||70 – 120 minutes|
|50 Miles||5 – 6 hours|
|70 Miles||6 – 7 hours|
|100 Miles||8 – 12 hours|
- A one-mile bike ride should take between 3 to 5 minutes on average. If you’re just starting out, it’s should take much closer to 5 minutes. Your average speed for each of your rides will improve with time and effort. Also, it will help you in reducing the time, it takes to bike 1 mile.
- Two-mile bike riding should take between 10 to 12 minutes on average. If you’re just a beginner as a cyclist, though it’s shouldn’t take more than 12 minutes. Your average speed will start to increase, if you put both time and effort in biking. Also, it will help you to reduce your time to bike 2 miles.
- On average, a three-mile bike ride should take between 13 to 15 minutes. If you’re just started, it should take no more than 15 minutes. With time and dedication, your average speed for each of your rides will rise. It will also assist to minimize the time; it takes to cycle 3 miles.
- Five-miles bike riding should be completed in between 15to 20 minutes on average. If you’re new joining as a biker, it’s should take most likely 20 minutes to finish. Progressively, your average speed will increase for each of your ride, just time and effort will be needed. Also, it will help you to reduce your timing to bike 5 miles.
- You should finish ten-miles bike riding in between 30 to 40 minutes on average. If you’re just a beginner in cycling, it’s shouldn’t take more than 40 minutes. Also, your average speed will improve and you will be able to reduce your timing to bike 10 miles.
- You must finish Fifteen-miles bike riding in between 40 to 50 minutes on average. If you’re just started as new cyclist, it’s should take around 50 minutes. With time and dedication, you can lower the time that needs to bike 15 miles.
- Twenty-miles bike riding should take between 70 to 120 minutes on average. If you’re just a beginner, it’s should take around 120 minutes. Your average speed for each of your rides will improve with time and commitment. Also, it will help you in reducing the time; it takes to bike 20 miles.
- A fifty-mile bike ride should end up taking 5 to 6 hours on average. If you’re just having started out as a beginner, it’s really shouldn’t consume more than 6 hours. If you increase your average speed f with time, it will help you in saving your time to bike 50 miles.
- Seventy-miles bike ride must be completed between 6 to 7 hours on average. If you’re a novice rider, it won’t take more than 7 hours. Your average speed will also rise which will help you to decrease your time to bike 70 miles.
- A hundred-mile bike ride should complete between 8 to 12-5 hours on average. If you’re a new cyclist, it’s shouldn’t take more than 12 hours. Your average speed starts to improve with your special effort and hard work. Also, you will be able to bike 100 miles less than 12 hours.
The essential factors on which this average speed of the motorcycle depends are in the following:
- The physical condition of the cyclist
- Atmosphere and condition of the terrain
- Proficiency in riding
- Type of the bike for riding
- Road grip and friction
- Road inclination
- Gear Construction
- Air pressure in tires
Is Biking 12 Miles a Lot?
Biking is not just an activity, but also, it provides numerous health benefits as a gift. People appreciate the full-body workout that cycling provides as a fitness activity. For beginners, it is recommended to bike usually shorter distances, whereas experienced cyclists can generally maintain speeds of 12-15mph.
So, if you think biking 12 miles is a lot to make you fit and active, it’s not right. Cycling 12 miles a day will most likely take an hour for a beginner cyclist, whereas for a professional and experienced rider, it will take only 30 – 40 minutes to complete 12 miles. So, it depends on the rider that what’s the average speed of cycling is.
Biking every day at 12 miles is an excellent distance to commute. It will help you stay active, but it will also help you in burning calories. According to Harvard University research, cycling speeds can also aid with calorie burn.
According to the research, a person weighing 155 pounds may burn the following calories:
- Biking at speeds of 12 to 14 miles per hour – 298 calories within 30 minutes
- Biking at speeds of 14 to 16 miles per hour – 372 calories within 30 minutes
It is considered that not everyone wants to cycle that far every day. However, considering the numerous health benefits, it is worth it. Do you intend to participate in this activity?
Then make a routine and enjoy the healthy benefits of cycling along with pure fun! No matter which bike you are riding, follow an everyday ride schedule in the best possible manner.
What Is a Good Time To Bike 12 Miles?
Cycling is an enjoyable outdoor activity whether you ride alone or in a group. It may begin at any time of day, whether it is in the morning, afternoon (if you can bike in the heat of the sun!), evening (after finishing work), or late at night (if there is any night shift).
Since we are very much engaged with our busy schedule every day, you must arrange the best time slot for riding so that there will be no excuse for not biking. Now, finding out the right time to bike is one of the most common questions asked by many people.
Generally, there is no specific time for cycling. If you are not a morning person, then you can find your free time to do that. Ride whenever you have the time and you want to. If you like to bike in the evening, then also you can go with your choice.
But when it comes to bike 12 miles, morning could be the right time for you. Because
- It can be a great way to start your day. Feeling fresh in the natural air and biking before the city becomes too crowded gives a fantastic riding experience to you.
- Also, waking up in the morning will increase your working efficiency and provides better control of your diet and hydration of your body.
- In the morning time, there is less traffic in the streets so you can cycle freely and it’s safe also. Heavy traffic and road safety are the primary reasons preventing you from riding at the end of the day or after work.
- Morning weather is also perfect to bike 12 miles because you can avoid the hot sun. You will feel little humidity, but it’s better to get sweat in the morning than afternoon.
Is 12 Miles On a Bike in An Hour Good?
As per the American Council on Exercise’s Physical Activity Calorie Counter research, cycling at a speed of 12 to 13 miles per hour is classified as middle/moderate. A racing speed is defined as 16 to 19 miles per hour on a bike. Cycling of 5.5 miles per hour is the most relaxed speed for a cyclist, according to ACE.
In the case of a beginner cyclist, 12 miles on a bike in an hour is quite good. But an experienced and professional rider can complete 12 miles within 30-40 minutes only. So, if you are completing 12 miles in an hour, it will be considered a moderate pace. It appears that riding your bike at an average speed of 15 miles per hour as a novice is doing quite well.
So, you must ride a bike with a specific distance that will provide you all the benefits of biking. Otherwise, 12 miles on a bike in an hour is an excellent distance for every cyclist to be covered.
Factors That Affect How Long It Take to Bike 12 Miles
Finally, how long it takes to bike 12 miles on your cycle can be determined by various factors, some of which you can manage, like your fitness routine and the bike you ride, and others that you will have to cope with, such as the weather and terrain.
Because cycling is a physical activity, your physical condition will influence how you’re doing. In terms of your ability and stamina in biking great distances in a short length of time, factors such as your age, workout routine, weight, and cycling experience all come into consideration and play a significant role.
Type of your bike you ride
Your bicycle’s height, size, weight, and kind must also be considered. A heavier bike needs more effort to pedal, and a bike that is too small or too large will prevent you from using your muscles effectively in the first place. Go for the best bikes that glide effortlessly over the road and don’t put you slow down too much.
The weather conditions and wind flow can impact your speed. Rain makes the road slippery, allowing you to go faster, albeit dangerous and brutal. It also decreases visibility and contributes to haze. A windy day might be beneficial when cycling in the direction of the wind, or it can be detrimental while facing headwinds.
Another major factor in your speed is the physical condition and slope of your biking path. Furthermore, there may be significant bumps, hills, and inclines along the paved road that will need extra stamina and care to handle safely and efficiently.
Finally, we have the answer to how long does it take to bike 12 miles. In most cases, it will take 50 to 60 minutes at an average speed of 17 to 18mph, but the truth depends on the cyclist’s health and fitness, the road and weather conditions, and the sort of bike he’s using.
You must practice well to become faster and more efficient at riding your bike and stay healthy and fit.