Want to buy a mountain bike?
But, don’t understand where do you start?
Obviously, the varieties in MTB are enough to confuse you, if you don’t have the minimum idea of different types of mountain bikes.
Whether you’re new to mountain biking or expert one, the exact type of bike is essential for your riding preference.
Here we are going to share with you the most useful information about various types of MTB.
Hope our informative article will empower you with the knowledge of various types of mountain bikes to make a healthier and smarter choice.
Before proceeding to our discussion, we like to inform you the reasons of learning different types of mountain bikes before buying one.
Why Do You Need To Know The Different Types Of Mountain Bike?
Nowadays, MTB comes with various sizes and shapes. With so many alternatives to pick from, it’s tough to decide exactly what type of MTB is best for you.
You should know the various types mountain bikes, to select the right one according to:
- Your personal riding preference
- Where you live
- How you want to spend your time on your mountain bike.
Having a knowledge of various kinds of MTB will help you to make a confident decision about specifically what type of MTB is right for you.
Different Types of Mountain Bikes
Let’s have a quick look.Different Types Of Mountain Bikes.
[table id=13 /]
Let’s go in details.
Depending On Suspension Types
Depending On Suspension Types MTB Comes With 2 Variations as listed bellow:
- Hardtail Mountain Bikes
- Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
1. Hardtail Mountain Bikes
- Shocks only at the front fork
- Solid frame
- Less complicated to maintain
- Less expensive
If you’re searching for a mountain bike at an affordable price, a Hardtail MTB is a better option for you.
2. Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
- Shocks both in the front and rear.
- Easy to control.
- More comfortable.
- Quick acceleration and deceleration.
- Accurate and quick stopping.
- Heavier and more expensive than the Hardtail MTB.
If you want to ride anywhere with comfort and enjoy the outdoor, Full Suspension Mountain Bike is the right choice for you.
Depending On Wheel Sizes
Depending On Wheel Sizes MTB Comes With 4 Variations as listed bellow :
- 24-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- 26-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- 27.5-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- 29-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
1. 24-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- Easy to maneuver
This type of MTB isn’t ideal for mountain biking as it is less sturdy and unable to withstand much impact. You can use 24-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bike to train mountain riding.
2. 26-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- The most popular and the main size wheels for most MTB
- Fastest on downhill sections
3. 27.5-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
It’s the newest addition in bike industries.27.5-Inch-Wheel MTB is the combination of the power, strength and uphill ease of 29” wheels and the lightness and downhill speed of 26” wheel.
4. 29-Inch-Wheel Mountain Bikes
- Larger size wheels
- Somewhat heavy
- Offer more angular momentum
- Better for going uphill
- Easy to roll over small obstacles on the trail
- Perfect for taller rider
- Suitable for rocky areas
Depending On The Rider’s Gender
Depending On The Rider’s Gender MTB Comes With 3 Variations.To offer you the best riding experience MTB comes in different sizes that are assembled particularly for genders.
- Men’s Mountain Bikes.
- Women’s Mountain Bikes.
- Kid’s Mountain Bikes.
1. Men’s Mountain Bikes
It’s important to choose the MTB with the frame size that will fit with your height.
The general recommendations of rider’s height and frame sizes are:
[table id=14 /]
2. Women’s Mountain Bikes
- Specifically designed for women to accommodate their body structure.
- Have a feminine touch to its color and appearance.
- Differ in saddle design from men’s Mountain Bike.
- Have shorter handlebar.
3. Kid’s Mountain Bikes
- Comes with adjustable seat
- Features training wheel
- provide a great form of exercise
When buying a mountain bike for your kid, you should emphasize on the safety options as well as appropriate size according to your kid’s height.
Let’s have a quick look on the wheel size and kid’s height table
[table id=15 /]
Depending On Riding Style
Depending On Riding Style MTB Come With The Following Variations :
- Trail Mountain Bikes
- XC / Cross-country Mountain Bikes
- All-mountain / Enduro Mountain Bikes
- Downhill / Park Mountain Bikes
- Freeride Mountain Bikes
1. Trail Mountain Bikes
- Made for all-terrain, leisurely biking
- Usually, features 27.5-inch tires
- Also suitable for daily errands
If speed isn’t a factor to you and you focus on the thrill of rough trails or jumps, Trail MTB is perfect for you.
2. XC / Cross-country Mountain Bikes
- Lightest MTB
- Features short suspension
- Not suitable for jumping
- Built for long trails
3. Enduro Mountain Bikes
- Able to handle both declines and inclines successfully
- Sturdy frame
- Stronger suspension
- Wider Tires
- Slightly heavier than cross-country bike
4. Downhill / Park Mountain Bikes
- Able to withstand heavy obstacles
- Heavy and very sturdy
- Perfect for jumping and flying far distances
- Not suitable for uphill riding
- Somewhat expensive
If you like to go downhill and speed, this type of bike is only for you.
5. Freeride Mountain Bikes
- Suitable for going downhill as well as uphill
- Lightweight frame and tires
- Very high suspension
- Sturdy and stable
Thanks for reading our informative article on various types of the mountain bike.You worth to get the appreciation for your patience and interest on the different types of the mountain bike.You entered our page to learn more and more about various types of MTB as you’re confused to select the best type that can meet your needs.
Hopefully, you’ve found your way.
Now, it’s your turn to buy the best mountain bike to make your mountain biking enjoyable.The information above definitely will help you to select the best-fit mountain bike for you. It’s important to realize what type of rider you are and where you’ll ride.